If you recall, last week ended badly. We had a “slightly” wonky wishbone, some bruised shins and a greater understanding of the dangers of using a 12 ton press without having a proper receiver in place.
One “new” wishbone was ordered, and it duly arrived in much the same state as the one we took off, a solid layer of rust covering the whole part, but generally sound underneath. This rust appears to reflect that the lower wishbone is in the firing line for all of the grit, salt and general crap on the road.
After the application of a flat disk to remove the top layer of crud reveals that underneath, the metal is in generally good condition with no deep pockets of rust or pitting.
It still needs some cleaning up in the corners and edges where the flat disk wasn’t able to reach, and some sort of rust treatment inside of it, but this is a good start with some solid metal.
So, back to where we started, our bushes. The right tool for the right job, in this case a bushing puller.
Which works in a very similar fashion to the threaded bar and socket technique we used to ruin one of our other bushes…. wait why did we spend £80 on this? The difference is that this hefty piece of kit has a lot more sizes of “socket” which act as receivers and pushers. This means that they fit perfectly over the different bushing mounts and rather than putting stress on the whole of the wishbone, put it only on the bushing mount.
As the nuts on the threaded bar are screwed in, the metal pusher and receiver get closer together, pushing the bushing out of the mount slowly.
And in real life:
On this kit, interestingly the smallest pusher looks too large to go through our mount, which suggests that we do not actually need a pusher, just a deep socket. Either way, we will head out to the garage in a bit and give this a go. Fear not though, we will do this on the rusted and bent “test” wishbone first, not our pristine new one.